Oil Lines Part 2

I completed most of the engine oil lines in early November but when I started to build the oil radiator supply line I discovered that the fittings I had for the oil tank and for the oil pump were the wrong size. A visit to the illustrated parts manual...

Engine Plumbing: Oil Lines

I built up the oil hoses that connect between the engine oil returns and the oil tank. Per the build manual, these hoses are to be covered with a heat shield, and then secured with lock wire. I briefly talked about the heat shield with Shawn during a recent...

Engine Plumbing: Fuel Lines

For the first major task following mounting of the engine, I began installation of the fuel lines. I thought this would be pretty easy, but it took two full days and I learned a few things. At first I was going to use aluminum tubing, much like I did...

Engine Mounted

I consider this a big milestone, but it wound up being pretty easy to mount the engine. The engine is attached with just four rather large M10 bolts. I purchased a second-hand Harbor Freight engine crane for $100, and a new load leveler bar for $40. Not too bad,...

Brake Pad Replacement

About two years ago I discovered one of the brake linings arrived from the factory damaged (see this post). At some point I ordered a set of replacement pads plus a tool to install it, but just never got around to doing the repair. Before hanging the heavy engine...

Firewall Components Installed

I wrapped up a productive weekend with attachment of the major engine accessories to the firewall: oil reservoir, voltage regulator, main battery, fusebox, shunt, fuel pump assembly, gascolator, and fuel lines. This work is much easier to do before the engine is attached. I am placing a DC contactor...

Canopy Install Part 2

The canopy installation took about 5 hours to complete, and it was a bit messy. I had flashbacks to building the fuel tanks, with sticky black goop (Sikaflex 295UV) going everywhere, and harsh chemicals (acetone) needed to clean up. I may have applied too much Sikaflex, because it was...

Canopy Headroom Check

Before I attach the canopy for good, I wanted to see how much extra headroom I could squeeze out. I was thinking I could raise up the front edge of the canopy a little bit, as long as there was enough excess material on the windscreen – luckily, the...

Firewall Insulation Revisited

I was about to spray adhesive for the Thermotec insulation I chose for the firewall, when suddenly I questioned how well it would insulate the cabin from engine heat (and noise). So, I performed a short test using 4” square test pieces of 26 ga. galvanized steel: one bare...

Instrument Panel Arrived

I’ve been fiddling with the instrument panel layout for at least 2 years now, but finally arrived at the final design. And thanks to the awesome team at Midwest Panel Builders, I now have the real thing in my garage! Steve at MWPB did a great job with the...