November 18, 2019

Right Nose Skin

I didn’t do a lot last night, partially because I had to make a run to the dump to get rid of the unwanted pieces of the fuselage shipping container. After a late dinner, I folded over the nose skin and clecoed it in place. I used a framing level …

Landing Light Wiring

I continued some of the electrical work for the starboard wing, securing wiring and adding electrical connectors for the lights. I also decided it was time to get rid of the shipping crate for the fuselage kit. The first crates I received last year were assembled using screws, which made …

Second Wing Build Progress

This past weekend I completed several tasks on the starboard wing. The most time-consuming task was aligning the bottom skins onto the spars – the holes didn’t line up very well, and I had trouble getting the inner skin to lay flat on my first 2 attempts. Here’s what I …

Right Wing Ribs Riveted

After confirming that the wing skins look ok when clecoed down, I spent a few hours securing the ribs in place. I was able to do a few things better than on the other wing – for example, I figured out that it was much easier to install the step …

WG-SKN-005 Fit

After taking some measurements, I found out why the outboard upper skin doesn’t fit will. The pitch of the holes drilled in the skin is just a little bit off compared to the pitch of the holes drilled into the rear spar – over the length of 43 holes, there …

Upper Wing Skin Fit Check

After flipping the wing back to normal, I started clecoing down the top skins. The inboard skin seems to fit fine, but the outboard skin doesn’t look right – there are ripples when I cleco it down. I had similar fit issues with the other wing, so I’ll have to …

Skin Fit Check

After working on the ribs so that their flanges were as flush as possible, it’s time to check with skins on and make sure they lie flat. I flipped the wing over and temporarily attached bottom skins, next I’ll flip again to do the top skins.

Right Wing Frame

The right wing is coming along nicely. I prepared most of the parts (cleaning, deburring, priming) for both wings at the same time last year, so this one is coming together faster. It’s amazing though, nearly a year has passed since I was working on the same steps on the …