As I was getting ready to start working on the next sheet of the center fuselage – sheet E8 – I noticed that I had some extra parts in the controls subsection bag that aren’t mentioned in the build manual. I figured out that these brackets function as locking plates for the bushings on the joystick. They weren’t cut to the right size though, so I have to grind away quite a bit of material to get from the diameter I measured 44.6mm up to 45.5mm to fit smoothly over the bushing without squeezing it.
Continuing on, I started fitting parts in place for the rudder pedal base and the center console per Sheet E8. I attach the rivnuts to the Z-sections CF-ZSC-001-L/R before riveting the z-sections onto the floor – it’s a lot easier to put in these rivnuts while the piece is clamped to my counter.
In my last post, I mentioned that I used a step drill (with imperial measurements) to open the rivnut holes to 7/32″, followed by a 6mm drill bit. I forgot I had a stepless reamer in my toolbox, so I started using that to open the holes to 6mm after using the step drill. The results are slightly better than using the metric drill bit. I’m going to order a metric step drill, since I have a lot more rivnuts to install in the fuselage kit (about 160 more to go!)